(add citation, background, paragraphs 3-5)
May 13 (Reuters) – The U.S. State Department said on Friday it appreciated the European Union’s efforts to revive talks on the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, but said no deal had been reached and it was uncertain whether it would.
“At this point, the deal is far from certain. Iran needs to decide whether it insists on additional conditions, and whether it wants to strike a deal quickly, which we think will be in the interests of all parties. We and our partners are ready, And it’s been for a while. Now it’s up to Iran,” said a State Department spokesman, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The European Union’s foreign policy chief said on Friday that he believed talks between his envoy and Iranian officials in Tehran this week had made enough progress to restart nuclear talks after a two-month standoff.
Negotiations to revive Iran’s deal with world powers have been on hold since March, largely because of Tehran’s insistence that Washington remove the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps from its list of designated foreign terrorist groups.
Asked if Iran still wanted to be removed from the list, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which controls the elite armed and intelligence forces that Washington has accused of global terrorism, a State Department spokesman responded: “We have not negotiated publicly, but the bottom line is no No deal, no certainty.” (Reporting by Arshad Mohammed in St. Paul, Minnesota; Editing by Chris Reese and Angus MacSwan)