UN human rights leaders condemn ‘shocking’ attack on mourners of journalist Shireen Abu Ackley

The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on Saturday condemned the attack on mourners at the funeral procession in East Jerusalem of slain journalist Shireen Abu Akler.

exist Comment Speaking in Geneva, High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet called footage of Israeli police attacking mourners in the procession “shocking”, noting that at least 33 people were injured in the violence.

“Israeli’s use of force, which is being filmed and live-streamed, appears to be unnecessary and must be investigated quickly and transparently,” Bachelet said.

She added: “Not only is responsible for the horrific killing of Celine Abu Akl, but also for all the killings and serious injuries in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

Her comments came after the killing of Abu Akleh, 51, a veteran Al Jazeera reporter based in the Middle East. The journalist was shot in the head while covering the Israeli military attack on the West Bank.

Bachelet placed the journalist’s killing in the context of a string of other killings of the Palestinian people by Israeli security forces, with 48 dead this year alone.

“As I have called for many times before, there must be a proper investigation into the actions of the Israeli security forces,” she said Saturday, noting that “the culture of impunity must now be ended.”

The brutality of the funeral procession was also condemn Other officials, including the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield.

“We are deeply saddened by the images in Shireen Abu Akleh’s funeral procession. The tragedy of her killing should be handled with the utmost respect, sobriety and care,” Thomas Greenfield said last week wrote on Twitter.

The White House called the photos of Abu Akleh’s funeral “deeply disturbing,” while President Biden backed calls for an investigation into the violence.

For the latest news, weather, sports and streaming video, head over to The Hill.

Source link