Federal authorities say that Donald Trump’s old friend Barak lobbied secretly in the United States on behalf of the UAE.
Former President Donald Trump’s 2017 Chairman Form a committee On Monday, he pleaded not guilty and stated that he was “100% innocent” in accusing the United Arab Emirates of secretly lobbying the United States.
Thomas BarackThe 74-year-old, 74, wore a black mask to protect against the coronavirus. He appeared in Brooklyn federal court for the first time a few days after he was released on bail of $250 million after he was arrested in California. His lawyer defended him.
“As you might expect, the system is working. I think you will find… Over time, you will all see that I am 100% innocent,” Ballack said as he left the court.
Prosecutors said that Barack used his decades of friendship with Trump to influence Republican policies, starting with Trump becoming a candidate in 2016 and continuing after he was sworn in as president.
At the time, the UAE was in a tense diplomatic conflict with Qatar. The prosecutor said that, among other things, Barak also provided UAE government officials with information on how senior US officials viewed the dispute. A group of countries including Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain launched a blockade of Qatar in mid-2017.
The prosecutor said that Barak boasted to contacts in the UAE that he could help them gain influence in the then new government, even if he was seeking a position as ambassador to the UAE or special envoy to the Middle East.
Federal authorities stated that Barak’s failure to disclose his relationship with the U.S. government in the UAE violated the law.
On Friday, a Los Angeles district judge approved a $250 million bail agreement negotiated between Barrack’s lawyers and federal prosecutors. The arrangement requires Barrack to give up his passport and accept electronic surveillance. It also imposed a curfew.
In an interview with federal agents in June 2019, Barak was charged with conspiracy, obstruction of justice and making false statements.
Barack’s lawyer said that he has an electronic anklet to comply with surveillance requirements, and he plans to live in Aspen, Colorado while awaiting trial. He also promised to take commercial flights only. He was subject to curfews and various other restrictions, including restrictions on financial transactions and a ban on communicating with officials in the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
In the indictment published last week, federal prosecutors charged three people-Barak, his former employee Matthew Grimes, and UAE businessman Rashid Malik for failing to register as lobbyists and using them The influence of UAE advances the UAE’s foreign policy in the United States.
Prosecutors said Grimes, 27, and Malik, 43, acted as channels for contacting UAE leaders and were charged in seven indictments.
Grimes also appeared in Brooklyn federal court on Monday, and his lawyer pleaded not guilty for him.
But Malik is at large. Authorities said he fled the United States three days after being interviewed by law enforcement agencies in April 2018. It is believed that he lives somewhere in the Middle East.
Before becoming the chairman of the first committee, Barack was an informal adviser to Trump’s 2016 campaign.
The indictment against Barack did not allege wrongdoing by the inaugural committee or Trump.
The pre-trial hearing in the Barack and Grimes case is scheduled to be held on September 2, when the trial judge will preside over the so-called conference call instead of the magistrate.