Three people disappeared in violent wildfires in Colorado and feared death Reuters

3/3

© Reuters. A general view of a burnt-out house near Superior in Boulder County, Colorado, USA on December 30, 2021. This still image was obtained from a video taken from a drone on January 1, 2022.Provided by Kaarl Hoopes Falcon Aerial Imaging/via Reuters

2/3

By Kitschoffman

Denver (Reuters)-Authorities said on Saturday that a wildfire raging across two towns in Boulder County, Colorado, caused thousands of people to evacuate and destroyed nearly 1,000 homes, leaving three people missing and fearing death .

Officials initially stated that there were no reports of casualties or missing residents following the rare urban wildfire that broke out in the northern suburbs of the Denver metropolitan area on Thursday morning.

Wind gusts exceeding 100 miles per hour (160 km/h) pushed the flames eastward into the towns of Superior and Louisville, prompting the evacuation of the two communities.

Officials said that about two hours later, the fire destroyed 6,000 acres of land.

Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle said that the three missing people he refused to identify were living in houses destroyed by the fire.

Pell said at a press conference on Saturday: “The building where these people were located was completely destroyed and covered with about 8 inches of snow,” he added, adding that corpse dogs will be deployed to search the home on Sunday.

Pell said 991 houses in Superior, Louisville, and unincorporated areas of the county have been destroyed, and in terms of house losses, this is the most destructive wildfire in the state’s history.

Officials initially stated that sparks from power lines that were blown down by high winds may have caused the fire, but inspections by the utility company Xcel Energy (NASDAQ:) No damaged or collapsed lines were found near the source of the fire believed to have occurred.

Pell said that detectives are investigating all avenues to determine what caused the fire. The police chief acted on the prompts, stating that a search warrant related to the investigation had been issued, but declined to provide any details.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said in a statement that U.S. President Joe Biden has declared the scene a national disaster and has freed up federal funds to help affected people and businesses recover.

Disclaimer: Converged Media I would like to remind you that the data contained in this website may not be real-time or accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indices, futures) and foreign exchange prices are not provided by exchanges, but by market makers, so prices may be inaccurate and may be different from actual market prices, which means that prices are indicative and not Suitable for trading purposes. Therefore, Fusion Media is not responsible for any transaction losses that you may suffer as a result of using this data.

Converged Media Fusion Media or anyone related to Fusion Media will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by relying on the data, quotations, charts, and buy/sell signals contained in this website. Please fully understand the risks and costs associated with financial market transactions. This is one of the most risky forms of investment.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *