The Sudanese army restores the deposed prime minister Hamdok

According to reports, Mr. Hamdock agreed to these terms to avoid further bloodshed.

Sudan’s deposed prime minister Abdullah Hamdok will be reinstated after he was placed under house arrest in a military coup last month.

The mediator said that as part of a new agreement between the military, civilian leaders and former rebel groups, all political prisoners will be released.

On October 25, the Sudanese military declared a state of emergency and disbanded the civilian leadership.

It sparked several weeks of massive protests, in which at least 40 people died.

Faderala Burma Nasir, leader of the Sudan Umma Party, confirmed that the agreement was reached late on Saturday night and will be signed on Sunday.

Reuters quoted a source close to him as saying that Mr. Hamdock had agreed to these terms to avoid further bloodshed.

According to Agence France-Presse, his office said that restrictions on his movement had been lifted and the security forces outside his home had left.

A panel of mediators, including academics, journalists, and politicians, issued a statement outlining the terms of the agreement, which stated that it would restore the rules governing the transition to democracy.

After longtime leader Omar al-Bashir was overthrown in mass protests, the Sudanese army and the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC) are a loose coalition of civil society that has been in a fierce power-sharing arrangement since August 2019 middle.

Last month, when the military leader, General Abdul Fatah Burhan, disbanded the government’s civil service and arrested its leader, this arrangement was in crisis.

He was originally scheduled to step down as the chairman of the council this month, when a civilian elected by the FFC will become the head of state.

General Burhan, who has served as the chairman of the new ruling committee, insisted that the army’s actions were not a coup.

He said he took action to prevent a possible civil war, because political groups have been inciting civilians to oppose security forces.

In many cities, including the capital Khartoum, anti-coup protesters set up temporary roadblocks and burned piles of tires, angry at the hijacking of their already fragile road to democracy. The army reacted fiercely, And was accused of shooting at protesters.

A faction in the FFC rejected the new agreement, and Sunday’s demonstrations proceeded as planned.

The international community condemned the coup and demanded the release of political prisoners. World Bank freezes aid to SudanAnd the African Union (AU) suspended the country’s EU membership.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *