Helsinki (Associated Press)-Swedish prosecutors said on Tuesday that they charged an Iranian citizen with serious war crimes in the final stages of the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.
The Swedish prosecutors stated that the suspect served as assistant to the deputy prosecutor in Gohardasht prison outside Karaj, Iran, from July to August 1988, and was allegedly involved in the serious atrocities there.
During the eight-year conflict between Iran and Iran, Iran was attacked by the Iranian People’s Mujahideen, a political radical organization that advocates overthrowing the leadership of the Islamic Republic of Iran and establishing its own government.
The Swedish prosecutor said that the then supreme leader of Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini, ordered the execution of all prisoners in Iranian prisons who sympathized with the jihadist organization and remained loyal to the jihadist organization.
The prosecutor stated that due to the order, a large number of prisoners were executed in Gohardasht prison between July 30 and August 16, 1988.
According to the Swedish indictment, the suspect “participated in mass executions along with other perpetrators in the prison and was suspected of deliberately depriving a large number of prisoners who sympathized with the Mujahideen organization.”
The Swedish prosecutor did not disclose the name of the suspect, but he has been widely identified as Hamid Nuri. A 60-year-old former Iranian prosecutor. The Swedish public broadcaster SVT stated that the man was arrested when he arrived in the Swedish capital Stockholm in November 2019 and has been detained since.
The indictment stated that the prosecutor accused the suspect of causing the prisoner to suffer severe suffering equivalent to torture and inhuman treatment.
War crimes “is one of the most serious crimes internationally and under Swedish law. Since Sweden has universal jurisdiction over violations of international law, we have the opportunity and a certain obligation to prosecute these crimes,” prosecutor Christina Linhoff Carlson said in a statement.
The trial is scheduled to begin on August 10 and is expected to last for several months. Amnesty International has previously pointed out that no Iranian official has faced charges for the mass executions in 1988.
The Iranian state and semi-official media did not acknowledge these allegations on Tuesday.