In the 12th round of major protests since the military coup on October 25, thousands of people marched to the presidential palace.
Television images showed that security forces fired tear gas at thousands of protesters in the Sudanese capital Khartoum. The demonstrators marched towards the presidential palace in the 12th round of major protests since the coup d’état on October 25.
Witnesses told Reuters that Internet and mobile services in Khartoum appeared to be disrupted on Sunday before the planned protests against military rule. Network monitoring organization NetBlocks also stated that mobile Internet services have been cut off since the morning.
and Previous demonstrationsSince the coup has become the norm, the authorities have set up roadblocks and containers have blocked the Nile bridge between the capital and outlying areas.
The rally was repeatedly accused by security forces of firing tear gas and wielding batons.
Sunday’s protests occurred after six people died and hundreds were injured. National demonstration Oppose military rule on Thursday. The Central Committee of Doctors in Sudan stated that the death toll has now reached 54 since the crackdown by the security forces began in October.
The military came to power in a coup on October 25 and ended its power-sharing agreement with civilian political forces. The agreement was reached in 2019 and should pave the way for the transitional government and the final elections. overthrow Longtime leader Omar al-Bashir (Omar al-Bashir).
Even after Abdallah Hamdok stepped down, protests against military rule continued recover He became prime minister in November.
The demonstrators demanded that the military not play any role in the government during the transition to free elections.
Some people managed to post pictures on social media showing protests in several other cities, including Ad-Damazin and Port Sudan.
Al Hadath TV quoted an adviser to the military leader Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan as saying that the military will not allow anyone to drag the country into chaos, and the ongoing protest is ” The exhaustion of the country’s body, mind and spirit”, “will not let the country fall into chaos.” Reach a political solution”.
In a televised speech on Friday, Burhan stated that the controversy over power and loss of life meant that everyone “should use a rational voice.”
“The only way to govern is to obtain popular authorization through elections,” Burhan said.
The Sovereign Council of Sudan, led by Burhan, condemned the violence that accompanies Thursday’s protests on Friday, adding that it has ordered the authorities to take all legal and military measures to avoid recurrence and that “no one will get away with impunity.”
Last week, the commission restored its power to arrest and detain the intelligence services.
Activists stated in posts on social media that 2022 will be “a year for the resistance movement.”
They demanded justice for the victims since the coup and more than 250 people who died in the large-scale protests that began in 2019, and pave the way for the overthrow of Bashir.
Activists also condemned the sexual assault during the December 19 protests, and the United Nations stated that at least 13 women and girls were victims of rape or gang rape.
The European Union and the United States issued a joint statement condemning the use of sexual violence “as a weapon to drive women away from demonstrations and suppress their voices.”