Scarlett Johansson sues Disney for the release of “Black Widow”

Scarlett Johansson Suing Walt Disney Company In the “Black Widow” released by its streaming media, she Said it violated she Contract and deprivation she Potential benefits.

In a lawsuit filed in the Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday morning, the “Black Widow” star and executive producer said she The contract guarantees exclusive release. “The Wall Street Journal” first reported the news of this lawsuit.

JohnsonThe potential revenue of the movie is linked to the box office performance of the movie, and the company releases it in theaters and streaming services at the same time Disney+ 30 USD rent.

“In the months before this lawsuit, madam. Johnson give Disney “He and Marvel seized every opportunity to correct their mistakes and fulfill Marvel’s promise,” the lawsuit said.Disney Without justifiable reason, deliberately induces Marvel to violate the agreement in order to stop the lady. Johnson From realizing all benefits she Bargaining with Marvel. “

Disney There was no immediate response to a request for comment.

After being postponed for more than a year due to COVID-19, “Black Widow” premiered at the pandemic box office of US$80 million in North America and US$78 million in international theaters three weeks ago, but box office revenue has dropped sharply since then. On the second weekend of the release, the National Association of Cinema Owners issued a rare statement criticizing the strategy, claiming that simultaneous releases would only lead to loss of profits and improved quality of piracy.

During the pandemic, the once taboo mixed distribution of drama and streaming became more normal for many of the largest studios, each with its own unique strategy. this weekend, Disney The same strategy is being adopted for “Jungle Cruise”, and Warner Bros.’s large budget “Suicide Squad” will be shown in theaters and HBO Max next weekend.

In the past 16 months, the revised mixed distribution strategy has occasionally led to public quarrels not only from theater owners, but also stars, filmmakers, and financiers over potential revenue losses and so-called unilateral decisions. Feeling dissatisfied.

The Wall Street Journal stated that, for example, WarnerMedia decided to release its entire 2021 movie simultaneously in theaters and HBO Max, and paid more than 200 million US dollars to talents for a “revised agreement.”

But none is as public as Johnson’s lawsuit. The actor has starred in 9 Marvel movies, dating back to 2010’s “Iron Man 2”. After the news of the lawsuit was exposed, it quickly became a hot topic on Twitter on Thursday.

Sign up for the daily newsletter

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *