Police chief who led Texas school shooting suspended | Gun Violence News

Local police have been closely monitoring their response to the attack on Rob Elementary School in which 19 children and two teachers were shot dead by an 18-year-old gunman.

The head of the Uwald School District police force — who oversaw the response to last month’s school shooting in Texas that killed 19 children and two teachers — has been suspended.

Wednesday’s announcement comes after the head of the Texas Department of Public Safety called for police May 24 attack on Robb Elementary School “failure”.

Local police have been under scrutiny since as many as 19 police officers were found waiting an hour outside a pair of adjacent classrooms where the shooting took place, as children died or died inside, doing nothing.

A U.S. Border Patrol tactical team finally got in and killed the teenage gunman.

The police’s approach is usually to confront the school attacker immediately, even if it puts the policeman’s life at risk.

“From the beginning of this horrific incident, I have indicated that the district will wait until the investigation is complete before making personnel decisions,” Uwald Unified Independent School District Superintendent Hal Harrell said in a statement.

“As there is still a lack of clarity and the timing of when I will receive the results of the investigation is unknown, I have decided to put Chief (Pete) Arredondo on administrative leave with immediate effect.”

The attack on the primary school will now be tear down, shocked America and reignited the debate on gun violence. The U.S. Senate now appears close to passing the country’s first major gun control legislation in decades.

Arredondo, 49, has previously said he Does not consider himself a responsible commander At the scene of the attack, he did not order police to stop it. But he said police did not find the key to the door until 77 minutes after the shooting began.

His attorney, George Hyde, told the Texas Tribune that another local, state or federal agency that arrived at the scene should take over command.

But Steven McGraw, head of the Texas Department of Public Safety, said Arredondo was in charge and made “terrible decisions” and wasted precious time. He called the response a “fiasco.”

McGraw told a Texas Senate hearing on Tuesday that the door was unlocked and there was no evidence officials tried to see if the door was secure while others were looking for the keys. Meanwhile, at least two children in the house were calling for help on their mobile phones.

Earlier Wednesday, Sen. Roland Gutierrez, a Democrat representing Uvald, sued the state’s Department of Public Safety for a full record of the shooting, saying the response to the massacre was “full of misinformation and outright misinformation.” lie”. start.

Source link