Lebanese was seriously injured and killed in an explosion at Beirut port

Beirut (Associated Press)-A Lebanese man was seriously injured in a massive explosion in Beirut port last year and died on Wednesday nearly 15 months after the explosion, his cousin said.

When the explosion occurred in August last year, Abbas Mazloum was working in a restaurant near the port when he was hit against a wall. His spine was severely injured, his head was injured, and 45 stitches were required.

After the explosion, the 45-year-old father of five children was paralyzed and was bedridden most of the time. Last month, he underwent back surgery, and recently he fell ill and had a fever. His cousin Noura Mazloum told the Associated Press that this led to his death on Wednesday morning in his hometown of Britar in eastern Lebanon.

“Since the explosion, his immunity has become very weak,” Mazlum said, adding that her cousin was buried in the cemetery in Britar on Wednesday afternoon.

According to official records, Mazlum’s death brought the death toll from the explosion to at least 216 people. The explosion also injured approximately 6,000 people, many of whom were caused by broken glass, flying objects and debris.

On August 4, 2020, hundreds of tons of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive material used in fertilizers, was ignited after a fire broke out in the port. It was later discovered that nitrate had been improperly stored in a port warehouse for many years, and senior political and security officials knew of its existence but did not take any action.

After more than a year, no one was responsible for the explosion. Due to legal challenges from politicians and the growing opposition of the Lebanese political class against him, the chief judge investigating the bombing had to suspend his work in the case at least three times.

Judge Tarek Bitar is the second judge to lead a complex investigation. His predecessor was removed from office after a similar legal challenge from a senior official he accused of negligence caused the explosion.

Former Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab filed a lawsuit on Wednesday, saying that Bitar has no right to sue him. Diab’s actions, accused by Bitar earlier, occurred the day before the former prime minister should be questioned by a judge, although he is unlikely to appear.

Politicians who oppose Bitar say that officials who hold the highest positions in the country, ministers and legislators should be interrogated and tried by a special court.

Earlier this month, protests against Bitar organized by radical Hezbollah and its allies led to the worst conflict in years in the capital, killing 7 people and injuring dozens of others.

On the first anniversary of the explosion, Abbas Mazlum said in an interview with the Daily Anahar Daily that he does not expect justice in the case. He mentioned many other unpunished bombings in Lebanon in the past few decades.

When asked if he has faith in Lebanon, Mazlum said: “Not at all.”

“I lost everything in my life. I’m still breathing,” Mazlum said in a video recorded with Anahar. “If we do justice, I will get my rights. They are my children’s rights.”

In September, a 35-year-old man was seriously injured in the explosion and died at his home in Beirut.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *