The Kremlin told reporters on Monday that a “mistake” had been made in the government’s call for qualified personnel for the war on Ukraine.
“Non-compliance is decreasing,” Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin, said of the mobilization order. moscow times.
He continued: “We hope this will speed things up and correct any mistakes.”
Peskov acknowledged that Putin’s decree last week to mobilize civilians was sometimes “violated”.
“It is true that there are violations of the statute. In some areas, the governors are actively working to rectify that,” he said.
However, a Kremlin spokesman denied rumors that Russia would close its borders to prevent eligible people from fleeing the draft.
“I don’t know anything about it,” Peskov said in response to a question about closing the border. “No decision has been made on this at this time.”
Putin’s draft announcement sparks heated debate Protests across Russiaresulting in the detention of at least 876 protesters in 38 cities on Wednesday.
Russian Ministry of Defense The original decree was revoked on Fridaysaid citizens working in respected fields such as banking, information technology and telecommunications would avoid military service.
Russian citizens are mobilizing after Ukraine successfully launched a counterattack earlier this month, driving Russian troops out of some cities in eastern and southern Ukraine.
The draft could force nearly 300,000 people to join the Russian army in the war against Ukraine.