Iran construction death toll hits 31 as protests continue | News

As the unrest continued, two more bodies were found in the rubble of a collapsed building in Abadan last Monday.

death toll collapsed building The number in the southwestern Iranian city of Abadan has risen to 31.

Two more bodies were pulled from the rubble of a tower under construction that collapsed a week ago, the official IRNA news agency said on Monday.

Rescuers are still clearing the wreckage of the 10-story building and looking for more victims beneath the collapsed section of the metropolis. Of the 37 injured, two remain hospitalized.

Authorities investigating the disaster have detained Abadan’s current and former mayor and several other city employees, accusing them of ignoring safety warnings. So far, 13 people have been arrested for building violations.

The deadly collapse has raised questions about the safety of similar buildings in the country and underscored the ongoing crisis in construction projects in Iran. The collapse is reminiscent of the 2017 fire and collapse of Tehran’s iconic Plasco building that killed 26 people.

turmoil

Protesters have taken to the streets of Abadan over the past week, sparking riots and clashing with riot police several times.

The semi-official Fars news agency said mourners gathered at the site of the collapse after a group of protesters attacked a state television crew on Sunday night, forcing police to disperse people to restore order and safety.

Another semi-official news agency, Tasnim, reported that more bodies were believed to be under the building.

Foreign Persian-language TV channels broadcast footage of Abadan showing young people clashing with police in the city and throwing stones at them.

It was not immediately clear if anyone was injured or if police made any arrests.

Source link