Peng disappeared from public view after he filed sexual assault charges against Zhang Gaoli, the former deputy prime minister of China on November 2.
The International Olympic Committee said that Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai had a video call with IOC President Thomas Bach and told him that she was safe and sound, after Western governments expressed increasing concern about her health.
Peng has disappeared from public view since the allegations of sexual assault against former Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli on November 2. Her video and photos appeared on Saturday, but the Women’s Tennis Tournament WTA is still worried about her welfare.
Finnish player Emma Teho from the International Olympic Committee Athletes Committee and Chinese International Olympic Committee member Li Lingwei also had a 30-minute conversation.
“I’m relieved to see that Peng Shuai is doing well. This is what we care about the most. She seemed very relaxed. I provided her with our support and kept in touch with her at any time convenient for her. She was obviously grateful. ,” Terho said in a statement.
Peng said on Chinese social media that after Zhang forced her to have sex, Peng disappeared, and they later had intermittent consent.
Prior to 2018, Mr. Zhang had been a member of the party’s ruling standing committee.
The French Foreign Minister called on the Chinese authorities to provide more guarantees, echoing the Women’s Tennis Association’s statement that these pictures are “not enough” to prove.
Current and former tennis players including Naomi Osaka, Serena Williams and Billie Jean King have joined the call to use the social media hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai to confirm her safety.
I was very shocked and shocked when I heard the news of Peng Shuai, my peer. I hope she is safe and find her as soon as possible. This must be investigated, and we cannot remain silent. In this extremely difficult time, show love to her and her family. #whereispeng帅 pic.twitter.com/GZG3zLTSC6
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) November 18, 2021
The concern for Peng came at a time when global human rights organizations and others called for a boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics in Beijing in February because of China’s human rights record.
Unless the safety of the former top doubles player in the world is guaranteed, the women’s professional tour may withdraw the event from China.
The Chinese website has deleted discussions of Peng’s allegations.
On Friday, a government spokesperson denied knowing of the outcry. The ruling party’s Internet filter also prevents most Chinese from seeing other social media abroad and most global news media.