As the country enters the winter season, concerns about energy supply have intensified, and heavy rains have appeared in the provinces known for coal mining.
According to official media reports, at least 15 people have died and three others are missing after continuous heavy rains and floods in Shanxi Province, one of the largest coal producing areas in northern China.
The state media “Global Times” reported on Tuesday that at least 1.75 million people were affected by the floods, and as many as 120,000 people were displaced after 19,500 houses “collapsed.”
The report did not specify which area in Shanxi was most affected. The province is located in the west of Beijing and has an area of approximately 156,000 square kilometers (60,000 square miles).
According to the report, the initial direct economic loss is estimated to be at least US$770 million.
Xinhua News Agency said that the flood emergency response has been lowered, indicating that the situation has stabilized and the water level of small and medium rivers is below the warning line.
The flood occurred months after the record flood hit July, central part of Henan Province-more than 300 deaths – And raise concerns about ensuring energy supply before winter.
Shanxi is an inland province with generally dry weather. According to the provincial government, the rainfall in the past week hit a record high. The provincial government ordered coal mines to take flood control measures and formulate emergency plans to “start immediately.” Seriously dangerous situation”.
According to a statement from the local government, at least 60 coal mines in the province have been suspended due to flooding, even though the country faces a shortage of electricity supply.
Beijing recently ordered coal mines to spare no effort to increase production and ensure supply, and said it would allow electricity prices to increase to promote power generation.
With record coal prices, national electricity price controls and strict emission targets squeezing electricity supply, China has been hit by widespread power outages.
After five consecutive months of rain, floods in northern China have displaced 1.75 million people.
More than 120,000 people have been evacuated from Shanxi, which is usually an arid area. The flood destroyed more than 17,000 buildings and destroyed nearly 500,000 acres of crops. pic.twitter.com/9mizE4JSiy
-AJ + (@ajplus) October 11, 2021
Xinhua News Agency earlier reported that in just five days last week, the average monthly rainfall in Shanxi exceeded three times that of October.
According to the Provincial Meteorological Bureau, the average rainfall in the province reached 119.5 mm (4.7 inches) from October 2 to 7.
According to Agence France-Presse, the local Communist Party newspaper “Shanxi Evening News” stated that an estimated 190,000 hectares (470,000 acres) of crops were destroyed.
A video clip released by the “Shanxi Evening News” showed rescuers wading through muddy water and floating on a raft on a flooded city street.
At the same time, CCTV footage showed that workers were repairing a damaged dam and railroad tracks hanging over the water after a part of the bridge they were on collapsed.