© Reuters. On October 13, 2021, in Kongsberg, Norway, a man used a bow and arrow to attack, killing several people. After others were injured, an arrow was left on the wall. Terje Bendiksby/NTB/via REUTERS
Authors: Terje Solsvik and Gwladys Fouche
Oslo (Reuters)-Police said on Thursday that a 37-year-old Danish citizen was suspected of killing five people with bows and arrows and other weapons in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg. This is a rare mass murder in Norway.
Two people, including an off-duty police officer, were injured in the attack on Wednesday night https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/man-kills-several-people-norway-bow-arrow-attacks-police- say -October 13, 2021, taking place at different locations in towns 68 kilometers (42 miles) southwest of the capital Oslo.
The detained man cooperated with the police and involved himself in the attack, although he has not yet filed a defense.
“He admitted the facts of the case,” police attorney Ann Allen Swan Mattiasen told NTB News Agency.
“We have to see if he also pleaded guilty,” she later told the private broadcaster TV2.
According to the police, the man living in the Kongsberg area is believed to be acting alone. They did not mention possible motives.
The Norwegian royal family expressed sympathy.
“We are shocked by the tragic incident in Kongsberg,” King Harald said in a letter to the mayor of the town.
The 84-year-old monarch wrote: “The rest of the country stands with you.”
The death toll is the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when the far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them youth camps Young people.
The district police chief Oeyvind Aas said in a statement: “This very serious situation certainly left a deep impression on Kongsberg and the people who live here.”
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he was shocked and saddened by the news. “At this very difficult time, my heart is with the victim’s relatives and all Norwegian people,” he said in a tweet.
The police said they were providing information about the man’s nationality after rumors about a person unrelated to the attack spread on social media.
Norway’s incoming prime minister, Jonas Gahr Stoere, who is due to take power on Thursday after winning a general election last month, said he had been kept informed by the outgoing government.
“What we learned from Kongsberg witnessed a terrible and barbaric behavior,” Stoll said in a statement to the NTB news agency.
The Aftenposten newspaper quoted the police as saying that the attack lasted more than half an hour in a “large area” of Kongsberg, including at the Coop Extra grocery store.
A woman living near the store said that she heard the sirens on the way home.
“I saw a group of police officers, and one of them was holding a few arrows in his hand,” the woman Marit Hoefle told the newspaper.
Investigators are considering whether these attacks constitute terrorist acts, and said they will provide more details of the incident later on Thursday.
His defense lawyer said that the police are interrogating the suspect and he is cooperating.
Attorney Fredrik Neumann told public broadcaster NRK: “He is cooperating and is issuing a detailed statement on this incident.”
Images from one of the crime scenes showed that an arrow appeared to be stuck on the wall of a wooden building.
About 28,000 people live in Kongsberg.
After the attack, the police department stated that it had ordered the national police to carry guns. The Norwegian police are usually unarmed, but the police can use guns when needed.