The District of Columbia Attorney General has been investigating the Washington Commanders and owner Dan Snyder since the fall of 2021 regarding allegations of sexual harassment and workplace misconduct.
District Attorney General Karl A. Racine announced Monday that his office has obtained more than 500,000 documents from the Commanders and the NFL related to the probe. Racine will also expand the scope to the recent accusations of financial improprieties — matching a similar probe from Virginia Attorney General’s office.
“The disturbing details of misconduct by the Washington Commanders and Dan Snyder that we’ve seen in extensive public reporting are deeply troubling,” Racine said in a statement. “No one should face mistreatment at work and no organization can evade the law. The Commanders’ players and employees, and District residents, deserve a thorough investigation that determines exactly what happened and holds those accountable for any illegal conduct.
“We encourage those who experienced or witnessed misconduct to contact our office.”
The Commanders declined to comment.
It is not immediately clear whether Racine’s investigation started before or after the House Oversight and Reform Committee began looking into the Commanders and the NFL.
In October 2021, amid renewed scrutiny over the league’s decision not to release a written report of workplace misconduct involving the Washington team, House Democrats began investigating the two parties and the league’s handling of that decision. The NFL has since turned over hundreds of thousands of documents to the committee related to the investigation.
The committee’s probe is still active as new accusations against Snyder and the Commanders have surfaced over the past few months.
In February, former employee Tiffani Johnston told members of Congress at a congressional roundtable that Snyder made unwanted advances on her at a work event — touching her thigh inappropriately underneath a dinner table and later trying to coax her into his limousine.
The next month, at a private session, former employee Jason Friedman testified that the team committed multiple acts of financial conduct — alleging the team ran a scheme to withhold a portion of ticket revenue from the NFL and refused to refund security deposits to season-ticket holders.
The Commanders have denied the allegations, which prompted new investigations from multiple offices.
Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares informed the Commanders in a letter Monday that his office had launched an official inquiry into the financial misconduct allegations. Miyares wrote that it was his “responsibility to carefully examine the material facts” regarding the matter.
“I request full cooperation and transparency from your client during this inquiry,” Miyares wrote.
The NFL has said that former Securities and Exchange Commission chair Mary Jo White is investigating Johnston’s sexual-misconduct charges and Friedman’s financial claims.
Earlier this month, the House Oversight and Reform Committee sent a letter to the Federal Trade Commission — along with the attorneys general of Virginia, Maryland and District — informing them of potential unlawful financial conduct by the Commanders. The letter was based on the testimony from Friedman.
The committee’s letter prompted a sharp response from the Commanders, who had a lawyer send a letter to the FTC that fiercely pushed back against Friedman and the claims.
Jordan Siev, an attorney on behalf of the team, called Friedman a “serial liar” and offered line-by-line rebuttal to Friedman’s allegations. The letter included emails that appeared to counteract Friedman’s claims and sworn affidavits from other former employees contradicting him.
Friedman’s lawyers have maintained he told the truth. In a statement Monday, attorneys Lisa Banks and Debra Katz, who represent Friedman, said their client would participate in the investigation from Virginia Attorney General’s Office.
The FTC has not said whether the agency will investigate the Commanders.