Civilians killed in rebel attack in eastern DRC | High resolution stock photo | CLIPARTO NEWS

ADF fighters have been accused of killing civilians with machetes in the Beni region of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Several civilians have been killed by rebel fighters in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, according to the country’s army and civil society groups.

A spokesman for the DRC army told AFP that “more than a dozen” were killed in Saturday’s attack, compared with 24 for the Red Cross.

The Kivu Security Tracker (KST), which monitors violence in the area through a team of experts on the ground, said at least 27 civilians were killed.

The killing took place in a village in the Beni region of North Kivu province, army spokesman Anthony Mulushay told AFP.

“At dawn, we heard gunshots in Beu Manyama village. When we arrived, it was too late because the enemy ADF had killed more than a dozen of our fellow citizens with machetes,” he said.

This Democratic Alliance Army (ADF) accused of killing thousands of civilians in the beleaguered east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

After the attack, soldiers pursued the attackers and “eliminated seven ADF troops” and captured another, Mulushay said.

The head of the local Red Cross, Philippe Bonane, put the civilian death toll at 24.

The massacre comes after nearly a month of relative calm in Beni, where Congolese and Ugandan troops have been conducting a joint military operation against ADF since late November.

Another Red Cross representative said on Friday that soldiers in the neighboring province of Ituri had found 17 decapitated bodies believed to be also ADF victims.

More than 120 armed groups roam eastern DRC, and massacres of civilians are common.

Both North Kivu and Ituri have been under “martial law” since May last year. The army and police have replaced senior managers to deter attacks by armed groups.

Still, the authorities were unable to stop massacre Often carried out against civilians.

Source link