Chinese state media released a video claiming to show Peng Shuai publicly, in an attempt to quell growing concerns about the Chinese government’s treatment of missing tennis stars.
Peng Didn’t see and didn’t hear From the beginning of November. She claimed through social media that before she had a long-term affair with this powerful politician, Zhang Gaoli, the former deputy prime minister of China, had attacked her at least once.
Hu Xijin, the editor of the nationalist media Global Times, said in a series of social media posts on Twitter: “In the past few days, she stayed in her own home freely and did not report in China. She wanted to be disturbed. Soon they will appear in front of the public and participate in some activities.”
Hu later released two video clips claiming that they showed Peng eating at a restaurant on Saturday night.
Steve Simon, chief executive of the Women’s Tennis Association, said the video was “not enough” to prove Peng’s safety.
“Although seeing her as positive, it is not clear whether she is free and able to make decisions and take actions on her own without coercion or external interference… As I said from the beginning, I Still worried about Peng Shuai’s health and safety, allegations of sexual assault are being reviewed and covered up.”
Earlier, Shen Shiwei, a staff member of the National Television Station, posted a photo of Peng being surrounded by toys and holding a cat on Twitter. He claimed that these photos were shared by Peng’s friends.
“Because I don’t believe that Peng Shuai has been treated unfairly, I am willing to believe in the authenticity of these photos. I believe that false speculations surrounding her will eventually be shattered,” Hu said.
The Financial Times could not verify these pictures or videos. Peng’s post on social media on November 2 has not been confirmed.
The White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said earlier that the United States had “deeply concerned” about Peng and called on the Chinese authorities to “provide independent and verifiable evidence to prove her whereabouts and that she is safe”.
Psaki said: “Any reports of sexual assault should be investigated, and we support women’s ability to speak out and hold accountable, both here and around the world.”
“And we know that the People’s Republic of China has zero tolerance for criticism and has a record of shutting up those who speak up. We continue to condemn these practices,” she added, referring to the official name of the People’s Republic of China.
Professional tennis superstars including Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer have joined the top tennis organizations and publicly supported Peng, the former doubles ranked No. One player. It is widely called not only to ensure the safety of the 35-year-old, but also to investigate her allegations against Zhang.
Simon, he suggested in the past week that the association might be Willing to withdraw the incident from China, Added: “I know exactly what needs to happen. Our relationship with China is at a crossroads.”
Zhang is now retired and 40 years older than Peng. In 2012, he joined the Politburo Standing Committee, the most powerful institution of the Communist Party of China. Peng’s detailed allegations against a senior official are unparalleled in China and are still under scrutiny.