Biden orders a declassified review of documents related to the September 11 attacks Reuters

© Reuters. US President Joe Biden delivered a speech on the August Employment Report at the White House in Washington, USA on September 3, 2021. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Authors: Jeff Mason and Jane Wolf

WASHINGTON (Reuters)-US President Joe Biden ordered the Department of Justice on Friday to review the FBI’s investigation documents for the September 11, 2001 attack for declassification and release.

Biden said in a statement: “When I ran for president, I promised to ensure the transparency of the declassification of documents related to the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001.” “On the 20th anniversary of that tragic day, I am fulfilling this promise.”

The order requires US Attorney General Merrick Garland (Merrick Garland) to publicly declassify documents within the next six months because it is responsible for overseeing “document declassification reviews” related to the FBI investigation.

Families of victims of the September 11 attacks on Thursday asked U.S. government regulators to investigate their suspicions https://www.reuters.com/world/us/sept-11-victims-families-push-us-watchdog-investigate -fbis-lost-evidence-2021-09-02 The FBI lied or destroyed evidence linking Saudi Arabia to the hijackers.

The request in a letter to Michael Horowitz, the inspector general of the Department of Justice, said, “The circumstances make it possible for one or more FBI officials to deliberately commit misconduct with the intent of destroying or concealing evidence to avoid disclosure.”

Saudi Arabia stated that it had no role in the hijacked aircraft attack.

For years, relatives of the victims have been seeking more information about the FBI’s findings in its investigations.

Last month, many families asked Biden to skip the 20-year commemoration unless he declassified documents that they believed would show that Saudi Arabia’s leaders supported these attacks.

Three days later, the Ministry of Justice stated in a court document that it had decided to review previous claims https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-welcomes-fresh-review-sept-11-attack-documents- 2021-08-09 Privilege for not being able to publish certain information requested by family members.

Biden will mark the first anniversary of the attack next week.

Biden said in a statement on Friday: “My heart will continue to be with the suffering 9/11 family, and my government will continue to maintain respectful contact with members of this community.” “As we plan our way forward. , I welcome their voices and opinions.”

Adam Schiff, chairman of the US House of Representatives Intelligence Standing Committee, said he supports Biden’s move.

“On the 20th anniversary of that terrible day, the families of the victims and all Americans have the right to know the full story. As time goes by, people’s worries about the sources and methods of the news have alleviated,” he said. Said in a statement. A statement.

Disclaimer: Converged Media I would like to remind you that the data contained on this website may not be real-time or accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indices, futures) and foreign exchange prices are not provided by exchanges, but by market makers. Therefore, prices may be inaccurate and may be different from actual market prices. This means that prices are indicative and not Suitable for trading purposes. Therefore, Fusion Media is not responsible for any transaction losses that you may suffer as a result of using this data.

Converged Media Fusion Media or anyone related to Fusion Media will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by relying on the data, quotations, charts, and buy/sell signals contained in this website. Please fully understand the risks and costs associated with financial market transactions. This is one of the most risky forms of investment.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *