Medical staff said that a 16-year-old boy was shot in the head by security forces in Omdurman because the protesters refused to reach an agreement with the military.
The Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said in a statement that a 16-year-old boy died after being shot in the head by security forces in the Sudanese city of Omdurman.
Sunday’s incident took place during the protests. Although Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok was reinstated in a political agreement with military leader Abdul Fatah Burhan, he promised to trigger a coup. All political detainees were released after weeks of deadly unrest.
According to the agreement, Hamdok, who was first appointed after the overthrow of long-time leader Omar al-Bashir in the 2019 uprising, will lead a civilian government of technocrats during the transitional period.
The agreement was opposed by democratic groups demanding full civil rule. As a hero of the protest movement, Hamdok quickly became the villain of some people.
“Hamdok betrayed the revolution,” the protesters chanted after the deal was announced.
The leading protest organization Sudan Professionals Association (SPA) called it “dangerous.”
Thousands of people attended the rally in the capital Khartoum and its twin cities Omdurman and Bahri. Witnesses told Reuters that security forces fired bullets and tear gas to disperse them.
“Hamdok disappointed us. Our only option is to walk on the street,” said Omar Ibrahim, a 26-year-old protester in Khartoum.
The coup triggered a large-scale demonstration against the army. The Central Committee of Doctors in Sudan, which is aligned with the protest movement, stated that Sunday’s killings brought the number of deaths in the protests since the military coup on October 25 to 41.
After the agreement was reached, Hamdock stated that he had agreed to the transaction to prevent more casualties.
“Sudan’s blood is precious. Let us stop the bloodshed and guide the youth’s energy to construction and development,” he said at the signing ceremony broadcast on national television.
Al-Burhan said the deal will be inclusive. “We don’t want to exclude anyone unless we have agreed to the National Congress Party,” he said, referring to Bashir’s former ruling party.
However, the agreement did not mention the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC), the civilian coalition that shared power with the military before the coup.
The FFC stated that it does not recognize any agreements with the armed forces.
The coalition said in a statement: “We reiterate our previously announced clear position: not to negotiate, not to cooperate, and not to provide legitimacy for the coup.”
It said that those who carried out and supported the coup should be tried.
Some resistance committees that organized protests also issued statements, refusing to reach any agreement with the military.
When the military seized power, Hamdock was placed under house arrest, derailing the transition to the 2023 elections.
The military disbanded Hamdok’s cabinet and detained some civilians who held top positions under the power-sharing agreement reached after Bashir was overthrown.
According to the agreement on Sunday, the constitutional declaration reached between the military and civilians in 2019 will still be the basis for further negotiations.
Western powers that support Sudan’s political transition condemned last month’s takeover and suspended economic assistance to Sudan, which has been trying to recover from a severe economic crisis.
The United Nations welcomed the agreement reached on Sunday, but stated that all parties need to “emergencyly resolve outstanding issues, complete the political transition in an inclusive way, and respect human rights and the rule of law.”
“We also hope that all those arrested on or after October 25 will be released immediately as the first gesture to implement the agreement,” the UN Sudanese delegation said.