People use Google Drive Used to host files to keep backups or share with others. In addition, files from Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides are automatically stored in Drive. For users who deal with these Drive files every day, creating desktop shortcuts may be a convenient way to access them faster. However, there is no direct option to add a home screen shortcut in Drive. In any case, we do have some workarounds to create desktop shortcuts for Google Drive files and folders on Mac and Windows PC. continue reading.
Create a Google Drive file or folder desktop shortcut on Mac or Windows PC
Method 1-Drag the drive file or folder URL to the desktop
The easiest way to create a shortcut to a Drive folder or file on the desktop is to drag the URL on the desktop. It can easily run on Microsft Edge, Google Chrome and most other browsers.
- Launch your web browser and open drive.google.com.
- Go to the Google Drive file or folder for which you want to create a shortcut.
- Adjust the size of the browser window so that the browser and the desktop are visible on the same screen.
- Click on Lock icon Next to the full page URL.
- Keep holding the left button and Drag the URL to the desktop.
Placing the URL on the desktop will create a shortcut. You can now rename it based on the file or folder. Clicking on the shortcut will take you directly to the aforementioned Google Drive file or folder.
Method 2-Use the Chrome application to create a Google Drive shortcut
- Open Google Chrome on the Windows PC.
- Type and type Chromium: //application In the URL bar or click application The icon in the bookmarks bar.
- After the page loads, right-click on Google Drive and select Create Shortcut.
- Choose whether to use the Drive shortcut only on the desktop or in the Start menu.
- Finally, click create.
Doing so will create a shortcut to the Google Drive homepage on your PC desktop screen.
Method 3-Use Google Drive App for Desktop
Google Drive has a desktop client that allows you to sync files across all devices. After installing Google Drive on your PC, it will create a dedicated file stream where you can process your Drive folders and files.
These files will always be synchronized with the cloud, allowing you to have the latest version on another device. This also means that you can access the entire Google Drive directly in File Explorer or from the desktop. Here is how to use it:
- Download and install Desktop Google Drive app From the official website.
- During the setup process, follow the prompts to log in to your Google account.
- Now, it will automatically create shortcuts for Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides on your desktop. You can use them to open the Drive file system or any Google document.
- To create a shortcut to a specific file or folder on the desktop, open the Drive file stream. Right click on the file or folder.
- Click on Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).
That’s it. You can now find full Google Drive, Google Drive documents (such as tables and documents), and any other shortcuts to specific Drive files or folders on your computer desktop screen.
Bonus-add the drive shortcut to the phone’s home screen
Adding a Google Drive shortcut to the home screen on iPhone or Android is easier than on the desktop. All you need to do is open the Drive app and go to the file or folder you want to place on the home screen.
Tap Three o’clock For files or folders, then click Add to home screen. The file or folder shortcut will be added to the home screen of your Android phone.For detailed instructions, please check our guide Add Google Drive file/folder shortcut to Android home screen.
On iPhone, you can open the Drive file link in Safari and then Add to home screen Use the options in the share menu.
This is all about how to create a desktop shortcut for Google Drive files or folders on a Mac or Windows PC. I hope these steps are simple and easy to understand. By the way, which of the above methods do you think is the most convenient? Please let me know in the comments below. Please stay tuned for more.
You can also follow us for instant technical news Google News Or comments about tips and tricks, smartphones and gadgets, please join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group Or subscribe to the latest comment video GadgetsToUse Youtube channel.